This week I have been a lot of research on the benefits of daily exercise and how it can help my sleep. From my research, I have gathered that there is a strong relationship between daily exercise and better sleeping patterns. However, there are numerous factors to consider when trying to improve sleep. I began by looking at how much sleep I should be getting as a young adult. Many sources stated that someone my age should be averaging 7-9 hours a sleep a night. Currently, I get approximately 6.5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. Next, I looked at the types of exercise(s) that are best for sleep and when the best time to exercise is and for how long. Studies have shown that aerobic exercise for about 30 minutes a day has shown the most improvement for peoples sleeping patterns. As for what time a day, this varies for what works best for an individual. During the process of my inquiry, I plan to do a week on daily exercise in the mornings and week of exercise in the evenings to see if I can identify what time of day works best for me. I found this article by Psychology Today particularly helpful because it explains that people may not see same-day results and it will take time and effort to notice larger impacts. The article reminded me to be patient and to look beyond exercise and sleep to see what other factors may play a role in my sleeping pattern.

As I move forward in my inquiry I will have to pay attention to a few other factors to receive optimum results. This includes creating a plan of action for when I will be exercising and where. This will encourage me to be efficient with my time while allowing me to keep track of workout days and types of exercises. In addition, I will have to be consistent with my plan of action as it will be key in helping me maintain my workout schedule and bedtime routine. My bedtime routine will include a consistent bedtime and wake up time to help me track my sleep and get into the rhythm of better sleeping patterns. A few other lifestyle changes I will be implementing are technology and food before bed. I have noticed that if I eat right before bed my indigestion can keep me up. As for technology, I have heard from many sources that the blue light given off by our phones, TVs and computers can play a role in falling asleep before bed. I am curious to learn more about blue light and the effects it has on sleep!

As I get rolling in my inquiry, I am eager to learn more about what is causing my lack of sleep and what different strategies will work well for me! As you can see, many lifestyle changes will be happening and I look forward to seeing the impacts they create on both my sleep and wellness!